Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A Question of Courage

--------------------------------------------------------
- by Bruno Gideon

It was my friend Kenny on the other end of the line. “I heard about your birthday party next week,” he said. “I just wanted to let you know I’m free that evening.” The moment he began talking I realized I had forgotten to invite him. I apologized, assuring him that he was most welcome to attend. Hanging up the phone, I was mortified by my mistake. But I was also impressed with Kenny’s response. How many people would have had the courage to make such a call?

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement
that something else is more important than fear.
– Ambrose Redmoon

If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?
– Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Would I have had the courage to call? When I consider the alternative – asking myself endlessly why I wasn't invited, building up resentment over being left out – I think I would. It’s an important point, because in these hurry-up, high-tech days, such situations are on the increase. Think of unanswered emails or phone calls. Or of an unacknowledged gift. But maybe the email got lost in cyberspace or the message wasn't delivered. It’s better to be like Kenny and approach these situations head-on.

Is something bothering you? Think of the alternative and clarify the situation right now.

-Bruno Gideon

No comments: