Monday, February 14, 2005

Embracing Change

---------------------------------------------------------

- by David DeFord

I love change. Whenever new versions of software come out, I upgrade early. I love the change of seasons; I even enjoy Nebraska winters. I jump and frolic over new hobbies like a puppy on toddler.

I love to try new foods and learn new things. As a career information technology leader, I initiated change for a living. In the early days of my career, nothing gave me greater joy at work than to retire a typewriter.

I confess that my biggest problem regarding change is that I don“t always finish what I start.

Change is inevitable. Our organizations change, as do our children, our communities, and our civic leaders. Even the players on our favorite sports team change.

Change comes harder for some. It makes them feel insecure and uncertain. How about you? Do you get upset when your favorite local news anchor leaves? Does it bother you when your newspaper changes its layout? Does the thought of rearranging your furniture cause you to break out in hives?

Sometimes, an aversion to change can keep one from taking the steps necessary to improve his or her life. He slips into a comfortable rut and stays there“even if he craves something better.

Improvement requires change. If we expect to make strides toward achieving our dreams, we must make changes.

So what changes do you need to make in your quest for improvement? Need you learn new skills? Need you start a new venture? Need you patch up some relationship?

I encourage you to evaluate your habits, your ruts, and your dreams. How aligned are they? To reach your dreams, what changes must you make to your habits?

Now, while I truly love change, I have some unbendable principles. I will never sacrifice my marriage in my quest for achievement. While I love change I have never grown tired of my beautiful wife“even after 32 years of marriage. My family must only benefit from my activities. I will never betray the teachings of my faith for business success. And I will never attain advancement by stepping on the backs of others.

I truly love change and improvement. But I have an alignment in my life that I will never sacrifice. My marriage, my family, and my faith mean more to me than any worldly achievement.

What unbendable principles have you formed? Never betray them. Self-improvement requires change“so does happiness. But happiness also requires a firm adherence to personal principles.

May you find your unchangeable principles and your habits that need changing. Achievement, success, and happiness will follow.

- by David DeFord

No comments: