Friday, December 31, 2004

Friday Story: No New Year's Resolution?

------------------------------------------------------

Last year I was stopped at a shopping mall on December 30, and asked by an eager young reporter what my New Year's Resolution was. Completely caught of guard, I replied that I didn't have one.

"Not a single one?" she asked, her eyes sparkling, her mouth dancing on the edge of a smile.

"No.. no, not a single one."

There was a pause, as she scanned the near empty mall, looking for another person to ask, apparently discarding my comment and me.

When no one appeared, she turned back to me,

"Are you sure?" scrunching up her nose and peering into me quizzically.

"Yes. I am certain. I am very certain. I can't even make something up." I apologized, standing in the vacant thoroughfare.

After all, I thought, what would happen to the rest of my year if I decided to have a New Year's Resolution?

What if I discovered that I needed to make amends with a family member. eat better. exercise more. tell my children I love them. travel to an exotic destination. do you think I could wait an entire year?

I could fearlessly resolve to go to the dentist, take vitamins, quit smoking, pay all of my bills on time.... lose 10 pounds. but. unfortunately . I don't know if I have a year... or a week, or even... another afternoon to spend in the mall with my husband.

"if I see something I need to change about myself . well..I just can't wait until January 1." I finished.

She wandered away, toward the next hapless person, who happened to be my husband, emerging from the coffee shop. He planned on eating better. Now that was perfect for her story, which appeared in the newspaper on New Years Day, with Bill's name in lights and no mention of the woman who didn't have a New Year's Resolution.

But this wasn't the end of it. After spending my year loving my children, visiting the dentist, taking vitamins, paying my bills on time, not smoking, and making sure my husband ate better (by letting him cook more), I have discovered a hidden resolution.

I resolved not to tell people things they want to hear, but to be honest with them. As a result, it has also been a year of shorter but more meaningful conversations, with more time to .... exercise. and write!

True Story and Original writing of Bethany Silver (bethanysilver@yahoo.com) Assistant Prof, Ed Leadership, Central Connecticut State University.


MyDailyInsights.com

No comments: